Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Gone

Last Monday she got her terminal diagnosis. Last night she died at home. Her 15 month old daughter is there but she had no chance to write a letter for her or make a video or even say goodbye with a kiss. When they thought it might be back in September her parents took the baby back east since she was sick and in pain. Then they told her it looked like maybe it wasn't back but she still felt so sick and had so much pain while they waited for tests that she couldn't care for the baby so she stayed put with the grandparents. By the time they got her back to her mother it was too late. I've never met them but I feel such incredible pain about it. I cried on and off all day with K as she talked about it with tears rolling down her face. We have no coverage for her so she had to come to work but left early so she could help the family. She lost her mother the same way, and very quickly, when she was 16 years old. My heart is aching for them all. Even the thought of leaving my children behind makes me throb inside. I wish cancer would fuck off.

3 comments:

Rox said...

Fuck.
It's heartbreaking.
Even though she didn't suffer long, now the responsibility of suffering has shifted to her family. That's so tragic.
If anything happens to you, I'll take your kids. Even the big one.
Hugs and much love to you.

Anonymous said...

God.

It *is* heartbreaking. There is a lot of suffering in the world. We just get to hold close to those we love.

hugs to you

Patricia said...

it's all so true, we gotta make every moment count. stuff like this makes me remember how fragile everything is and how truly unimportant so much of the stuff i whine about is. i pray the family heals and finds peace.