Friday, July 20, 2007

gone gone gone i've been gone so long

Well crap, another week has slipped by me in the wink of an eye. How does this happen? One minute it's Friday and then before I know it it's next Friday. I feel like I'm time traveling for fuck's sake.

Recap anyone?

Last weekend we ventured to Red Deer, (which is north of us about 1.75 hours), in order to see my two older sisters and my 25 year old nephew who left the following Tuesday to go for Basic Training for RCMP in Regina. I am pretty close with all of them, keeping all things in perspective and noting that it's all "relative"(haha). We were having a BBQ and staying over for the night with kids and all. It was sweltering hot so hubby and kids went to stay at a friends place who had room for them and whose house was not a friggin' sauna, and I stayed over with my two sisters so we could drink wine and visit late. Everyone's nerves were high since son and nephew were heading away for the real world now. And for some reason, it seemed that I was a bit of a target for mom and son to take some of it out on, so I have been struggling emotionally with some of that ever since. Whatever, I know they were anxious and stressed but they both said things out of the blue to me that were pretty hurtful and critical so I am sorting it out for myself. I spoke with her tonight and found the nerve to tell her how I felt and it was well received so that makes me feel validated at least. It's not a common occurrence so I know I just need to let it pass but I struggle with perspective on myself from time to time.

I then proceeded to work for three days and manage children and home and all that daily chore stuff, only to find that Thursday had arrived and my husband was leaving the next day to go on a fishing trip in Northern BC. So we had a nice night together last night and stayed up late visiting and then he was off to the airport this morning!! He had wanted us to go but since I am the queen of avoidance I opted out of going to see the MIL this year, only to be sucker punched when I heard she was coming back with him-haha! That's what I get for being such an avoider! So I am planning my strategies and making my lists and I will be ready goddamnit. Come hell or high water. Eek, says the little voice in my tummy. She is hard on me, always has been, always will be, and I need to somehow find a way to change the tide, and stop laughing and acting like I don't care that I'm being treated poorly. Blah! Are you sensing a trend here? Fuck.

So here it is Friday again, and I went shopping today after the airport, cuz that's what a girl does. I bought this new set of bedding I have wanted a while and it was pretty pricey but I decided it was time. We bought a new King size bed after Christmas and still hadn't purchased any new bedding to fit it except for the sheets, so it was long overdue. I don't like spending large amounts all in one shot like that, but after the initial nausea, I loosened up and proceeded to the hair salon to get myself a kick ass hair straightening iron I have been eying, and then a few other things, so it was HARD CORE on the Mastercard today and I kind of felt guilty and good at the same time. Sounds Catholic or something doesn't it?heehee. My bed is the prettiest it's ever been and I believe there's something to be said for that, at the risk of sounding very shallow or materialistic. Hot damn it's pretty though!

I also got Stereophonics, "Live at the Dakota", and it is smokin', thanks to Dickey for the music tip! I gotta burn one for Chunks! She's gonna love it! Speakin' of the lovely Chunks, she's in GP tonight, and we had some plans for all nighter on the phone but I'm thinking by the sounds of things down there, she opted for the sleepover, as would I. I'm hoping we get one in soon here, I miss her dearly. That's all, pass the beer nuts. And the beer while you're at it.

So Rock on dudes and dudettes, have a STELLAR weekend!!!

6 comments:

tornwordo said...

You too! And I'm glad you were able to express your hurt to the family. That always takes guts.

Chunks said...

First of all, LOVE the pic! Nice cleavage! You've always had the great boobs. Anyway.

Be brave. Be strong. Try to think "What would Chunks do?" when confronted with a snarky MIL? Well, Chunks would probably do the same thing, to be quite honest, being that I am also a non-confronter to a certain degree. Remember what the little freckle-faced girl from the Pull Ups commercial says when she says "I'm not going to let it control my life." Well, that's who you should listen to!

Thanks for the morning session! LOL! It's always nice to mix things up a bit eh? Get a little chitty chat in in the a.m instead of staying up all damn night! LOL! Well, I am hoping I can do that too.... =)

Chunks said...

Need I remind you that you are indeed 39? Need I? Apparently I need to! LOL!

Patricia said...

how long will the mil stay? i'm so lucky to have a really good relationship with mine. i swear sometimes i think i married my husband just to get his mom!

do we get to see pics of the new bedroom? i love that you bought the stuff all at once, that's what i'm waiting to do, too. but luckily i haven't seen anything that knocks my socks off.

Anonymous said...

Yay you for telling your sister and nephew how you want to be treated. And yay them for being adult about it.

When people (I know this will surprise you, but my in-laws are bitchy too) dish shit at me, I am practicing this thing where I just stop and breathe. I don't smile or say anything. It is pretty effective, and I don't have to worry about what I said later. After the first few times I started to enjoy it too.

I wish you luck! I wish you good support (well, I know you have that). I wish your MIL gets a friendliness lesson before she gets there.

r said...

you are one busy lady.

You know, you spend a third of your life in bed; it should be a pretty place to be. I'm with the others though, when do we get a picture of it?

And, like my buddy says, "Don't fret it, use credit."

It's not like real money, right?