Sunday, August 12, 2007

Canadian loons and all that stuff....

Wow, it's been a week already....I'm not so hot at the regular gig. I'm sporadic at best.

I feel like we are trying to cram as much into this last bit of summer as possible. School starts in less than 3 weeks and the weather has cooled considerably so it's starting to feel like fall is on its way. EEK! I am hoping we'll still have another stretch of warm days but who knows up here in hinterland.

Remember those Canadian vignettes they did in the 70's? It was some Canadian heritage thing, I think it was "Hinterland who's who?" or something, and it was these little educational vignettes about our country, our native animals, and our landscapes. For some reason, it's been on my mind lately. I remember it fondly. Now people need to have all this flash and bling and sarcasm in order to be entertained that it must seem near impossible to engage people on our earth and all it's beauty short of trying to scare the living shit out of them. I don't really think that works either though. People resent it. I want the vignettes again. Simpler times. Maybe that's my whole Laura Ingalls books fascination thing as well. Totally love the idea of simpler times, living off what you could find, settling where you landed. I am a big wimp so I doubt I could handle it at all, but it is a romantical notion I hold dear.

I pick up the little baby ball of fluff this coming Friday so I got my gear and am doing my final prep this week. We are excited to say the least. I know it will be tons of work but I'm hoping I can handle the lack of sleep, it's been almost six years since I had a baby in the house so we shall see. Like I say, I am a wimp. Need to sleep, pooh regularly, have my allergies under control, have enough down time, eat regularly, all that stuff, or I am one cranky gal. Should be interesting to say the least. Hopefully she'll be like my little gal and be a great sleeper. Pray for me. I did survive a non sleeping colicky baby though, so I should be good to go I'm thinking. Either that or me head is firmly planted in me arse!!

We saw some old friends today, it's been several years since we saw them. They live one and a half hours away from us and they had to come to town so we spent the afternoon and evening just visiting and letting the kids play and get acquainted so it was really nice. We need to make an effort to go see them and keep it up, they're too close to not make the trip. They like to camp so I am hoping the more I expose my anti-camping husband to them the faster I can wear him down!!! Yesterday we spent the day in the mountains with some other friends at their camp site and it was a perfect gorgeous day!! We had a great time in that amazing mountain air and spent the whole day outside which was so great! Hubby and his pal overindulged a bit so I drove us all home in the wee hours but it was a really fun day. Until poor hubby woke up with a headache that is. I teased him all day since he never drinks and it is so funny to see him like that when he does. He's really funny anyways, and then get the guy drunk and it's quite cute.
Fun times!

I have another very busy week ahead between work and appointments and planned activities so it may be another week before I post again. Time is flying!!!! Yikes. I am trying to savor all of it and not let myself get too anxious about the pace and the timing and live in the moment a bit more. I'm not always very successful with that since I am a bit of a spaz but it's all a work in progress. Haha, fucking understatement but whatever!

Ciao babies, have a great one.

9 comments:

r said...

Three weeks?!

I go back next Tuesday, the 21st.

(wait a minute, I have to get a tissue)

My summer is almost over, and it just started!

Chunks said...

The Hinterland's Who's Who is still on, but less Hinterlandy...I bet you could watch the old ones on YouTube! Try it!

I don't know how you can handle being so busy. It blows my mind how much you cram into a week. I fully expect puppy video emails once the little gaffer gets there!

I'm glad your trek to the mountains was awesome! Did you take lots of snaps?

I'm so ready for school, you have NO IDEA!

tornwordo said...

I like the idea of living off what you could find and settling where you land. I don't know if I could do it either, sigh.

Patricia said...

i can't wait til you get your lil babyboo home. does he/she have a name?

here's hoping you have a lovely week.

Devo said...

I cannot seem to decide firmly on any name yet. I guess I will have to spend some time with her first before I decide.

Anonymous said...

ohhhh, a puppy!!! definitely need more pics. more, more, more!

Anonymous said...

I totally relate to that simpler times thing. It's like it always has to be cranked up. And I know the kids don't need it to be all complex either. I find myself being all nostalgic for the 70's, and I didn't even see the Canadian Vignettes.

I hope your attempts to get your hubby camping work. It is such a good feeling waking up out on the land.

It's nearly Puppy Day!

JT said...

I remember the hinterland things!
I always remember the little vignettes they had, like the first woman in medical school or the Halifax explosion and all that...
good times.....
it's been a while, what did i miss?

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Rox we know you have cute puppy video. Give!