Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The weekend was sooooo relaxing. Who knew I could sleep so much if left to my own devices? I didn't draw as much as I had thought I would, but I wrote, read, took copious amounts of photos, and shopped to my heart's desire, mostly just browsing, but it was so relaxing to just do whatever I wanted and not be on a schedule at all.
I left late Friday and headed north on a scenic secondary highway, stopping a lot along the way to take pics, and change my music. I ended up in Lacombe, which is a small town of about 10000, and has a lot of historic buildings and is very quaint and pretty. I found a B & B on a farm west of town, run by a couple who are originally from Holland, as so many of the farmers in the area are. I had a comfy little room and my own bathroom, and a main sitting area for all guests to use. The only other people there were fresh off the plane from Holland, in Canada for a month of touring, and spoke very little English, but were very nice and we attempted some conversation, which was fun for me.
I slept over 10 hours the first night. When I woke up, I looked out the window at the trees all around and saw a horse outside of the window, the sun shining over the whole thing, with a shine of morning dew. It was so peaceful and pretty, exactly what I wanted to wake up to. After a huge yummy breakfast, I headed out with camera and sketchbook for a long walk down the country roads and some picture taking and sketching, and came back to sit and draw. It didn't take long before I was asleep again, for about 3 hours!!! After that, I headed into town and toured about, and the rest of my trip was more of the same, shopping, resting, writing, sleeping, eating, all good.
I came home feeling so rested and relaxed and I thought to myself, this needs to become a yearly tradition for me. So damn good to be with just yourself sometimes.
I'll try to get some pics downloaded and posted in the next few days, it's back to real life and my sometimes crazy schedule.
Hope you all had a great weekend too. I got the new Joni Mitchell cd for my journey, it is really sad and thoughtful and a great listen. I also finally picked up Amy Winehouse, and it is also a great listen, that girl can sing.
Peace out people.

9 comments:

Chunks said...

oh oh. Reading this I realize that I still haven't sent you the copy of the Amy Winehouse CD I promised you. STINK!!!

I owe you a vid too. It's my turn to suck. LOL!

I think I need a trip to Lacombe! LOL!

JT said...

HEY, MARGO, RACHEL AND I WERE TRAPPED IN LACOMBE IN ABOUT 99 OR SO! LOL, it was hell at first. We met Margo in Edmonton and were on our way to Cowtown and our fuel pump went and of course we couldn't fit into Margo's Miata so we had to spend the night in Lacombe, but the only problem was the hotel by the dealership was full, so we tried the shitty crack addict motel even, and they were full, thank God, but then we discovered a hotel on the other end of town that had rooms, was cheap ,and they were really nice. So we took lawn chairs outside so we could smoke and started drinking and had a grand time and I remember saying "we really need to write them a letter saying how wonderful their hotel is" and repeating that over and over, and then when I sobered up, I was all .... ummmmmm.... yeah... maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
You need to buy Joni's court and spark and Hegira, because they are superior and good for the Melancholy soul. If I figure out yousendit, can i just like give them to you all that way?!?!?!?!?

Devo said...

yah yah send me tunezzzzzzzz! I loves me some tunes. I swear to shit I heard some new Coldplay song on the radio at work the other day, was I dreaming? wtf?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idea, the yearly tradition of the Me Trip.

I'm not sure I'd dig it, but you make it sound wonderful.

Glad you sound chipper!

Anonymous said...

You trip sounded so great that I spent that next weekend alone. I thought I would rest, but I got all this stuff done~ a crazy amount. I'm thinking the key is to drive away to someplace else. Then you only get creative stuff done. Or sleeping. Both good.

JT said...

ok, where are you? What's going on? What's wrong - c'mon Phyllis, don't leave me worried....

anabel said...

A few hours ago I talked to a friend who did the same thing in the San Francisco area. I told her that is just what I think I need.

Chunks said...

Devo. This isn't funny anymore. Write something. A grocery list. Anything. LOL!

JT said...

ok, you've become a jehovah's witness and view blogging as a sin.... is that it?