Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Yesterday.......

Little gal, skipping rope in hand, lays it gently before her feet and steps slowly over it. She then tells me, "This is how people used to skip in the old days, real slow like this." And then she does it again. I laugh, and say, " Oh you think we were all pretty slow moving way back then, eh?". She smiles, and says,"Yeah, and you know how they used to fill their swimmin' pools?" "No, how?" I ask. "They just kept spitting in them over and over again!" She says with a laugh. 5 year olds, they are just too damn funny I tell ya.

I, of course, being the verbose parent that I am, couldn't resist explaining the body's need for water and that if it didn't exist to fill swimming pools and the like, we would all perish from thirst. Cuz I'm all fun like that. I also had to inform her that we all skipped a lot more and a lot faster than any kids I've seen lately since we had no video games or tv channels and we all shared one bike between the six of us. But hey, whatever floats your boat, you modern child you.

Life with children is full of interesting moments, be they humorous, painful, joyous, or a whole other range of things. Wouldn't change one bit of it.

Ciao babies!

8 comments:

Chunks said...

HAHAHA! I love that kid! Her mind is so creative and free.

Now, I would have said to the child "No, we didn't spit in them, we peed in them" because that is how I roll! hahah!

Don't you wish you could take them back to see the days of double dutch and hula hoops? They'd be stunned I tell ya! STUNNED!

Devo said...

Don't think the whole pee thing wasn't the first freaking thought in my mind!!!

tornwordo said...

Pee! That's what I thought too. Gotta love kids.

Patricia said...

it's so true... kids would be bored out of their skulls to have the toys we all used to play with.

stuff like this makes me feel ancient.

anabel said...

I predicted the pee comment also.

You're like me a bit, a realist. I had to point this stuff out to my kids as well. They're 14 and 18 now and they both have wild and wonderful imaginations so it didn't wreck them.

Anonymous said...

What a great moment. Thanks for capturing it.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie, out of the mouths of babes..

:)

r said...

That was sweet.

I've not been around a 5-year-old in some time.

And am I the only one that didn't immediately think of pee?