Friday, May 4, 2007

slip slidin' away........

Good golly miss molly, the days, they are slip slidin' away!!! The week has been a blur of astronomic proportions! Where to begin?? First off, I love Paul Simon, and thinking of him singing that song makes me want to sing it too. His music is always so melodic and socially conscious. I need to listen to some Joni, cuz I never have and I bet I would like her too.

The week has been incredibly busy. The friend I went to see John John with has convinced me that we should start a business so all week we have been running around and planning and designing logos and planning our marketing and trying to find out what we need to do in order to do it all correctly since neither of us have done this before. So I have had a very overwhelming week to put it mildly. We are starting a service which is needed but already has one other person who provides it in our town so we'll see if it works out. Nothing glamorous about this venture either. Curbside recycling and kitchen compost pickups. So few people in these farm towns recycle and the awareness really needs to be raised. Most of them have money and little in the way of time so I think it will work. The people who are still on the farms might do some of their own stuff but so many of their kids are now in town and working elsewhere so it really changes things. In no time, they are huge consumers and the environment is often not on their radar. My plan is to put it there, FIRMLY!!! WE have a local depot here which takes pretty much everything imaginable so we can just drop it here for them. Win, win. Scary though. We are trying to do it with a minimal investment to start and then see if we can grow it enough to get a vehicle dedicated to the service. Yeesh, I am so excited and scared and all of these things at the same time.

We also started soccer this week and I am assistant coach on my son's team, which is pretty humorous since I know nothing about soccer!! I was kind of wrangled into it and was feeling so stressed about all of this other stuff and didn't want to go. Then we had such a great time!! It was the perfect distraction from everything that was going on in my mind. It surprised me how therapeutic it was. My husband is coaching our daughter's team too so we head to different fields in opposite ends of town, and it's nice to spend that dedicated time with one child. Last year I was with her and he was with our son so I'm glad we switched it this year. I am sensitive about the whole splitting the family off into genders thing that so many of them do. It icks me out.

My son has been up a lot the past couple of nights A LOT, having bad dreams and feeling yukky with a cold coming on and it has been a bit tiring for me!!! There's no school here today so I slept in a bit this morning, which was just so lovely I can't tell you. My kids are old enough now to be awake on their own a bit in the mornings and I am NOT a morning person at all, so I think I started waiting for that to happen around the age of 2 weeks. haha. Note I always insert the haha's too. I think I learned to do that from having people take emails too literally in the past. It's hard to show enunciations or emphasis so a haha will have to suffice. haha.

Well, time to haul my tush off the chair and onto the treadmill. I have already lost some poundage so it is a great motivator. And it really does set your brain for the day, and reduce stress, so it will be a life saver for me, and my family(HAHA) over this next while.

Happy Friday everyone. Try not to let your life slip slide away!!!

Devo

8 comments:

Chunks said...

I think you would like Joni too. I don't know much Joni, but what I know, I like.

You've got me thinking about business ventures my own self, if you guys want to start a franchise, I will do one here. HAHA! No seriously, I've been thinking about it. When I get the house done, I will think more about it. You will have to do it in winter too, right?

I hope the boy is feeling better soon. Restless nights don't work for ANYONE!

I'm so proud of you for going on the treadmill. ME? Two poptarts, a croissant, some grapes and about fifty chocolate covered espresso beans. I'm jittery. Oh and I had a shower. Big whoop.

anabel said...

That's a great idea. I love it when people do what inspires them. If there's room for two businesses doing the same thing or if you do a better job and get people motivated this will work.

I'm on my second business, first in yacht maintenance (over 20 years) now as a Martial Arts School owner. It has it's pros and cons but I really like being my own boss.

I have a son, 18 and a daughter, 14. I try to have a seperate date night with each of them at least once per season. The ways months go by, this seems pretty often. We all LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

I Love your business idea. You know, the huge city trash guy in Huntington Beach started out as an idealistic dude in the late 60's with a wagon picking up recyclable stuff. He went on to make his busiess employee owned.

My fav Joni album is Ladies of the Canyon. That is because it is so nakedly full of 60's idealism though.

Your soccer gender bit made me smile.

JT said...

weird, i just did a post about Ladies of the Canyon a few posts back. I really dig that one, and it might make a good first Joni - followed by Blue and Court and Spark.

r said...

I love paul simon, and joni... so methinks you will love her too. great minds think alike and all that.

Have a good weekend (hope boychild doesn't get really sick).

JT said...

devony darling, post some shit. i don't care what. at this point, grocery lists will do.

Chunks said...

I'm with JT honey! What did you have for breakfast? hahahah!

Did you remember to put John Mayer in the car? God, I hope so! And I've not been made privvy to the Ladies of the Canyon disc, everyone has been holding out on me apparently.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the business. Its a great idea.

M